Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mmmmm... Chili

Tonight Brett & I decided to have chili one last night before the weather gets warm and we will want to avoid hot and hearty food in all its forms. This is by far the best vegetarian chili recipe I have ever found, and I thought it was too good not to share. For those of you who are fans of meat, this also makes a great base that you could add meat into.

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tbsp. minced jalapeño pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can chili beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup canned corn
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Spoon vegetables into slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.

Here is the delicious end result:


NOTE: I got a little over excited (or maybe just distracted) and dumped the veggies right into the crock pot without cooking them in the skillet first. While it isn't preferred, I just wanted to let you know that if you do it this way the chili will still turn out just fine. :-)

1 comment:

the sheldons said...

That looks DELICIOUS!!!! Great, now I need to go to the store so I can pick up what I don't have to make it...

P.S. Dean said you guys are having a BBQ this Sat? I'm bummed because I already have a committment that I have to be to that I've known about for 2 months so I can't go. But Dean said something about you guys maybe changing it and having it on Sunday or did I completely misunderstand what he was saying? Point being, WE MISS YOU GUYS AND REALLY REALLY WANT TO HANG OUT!

Related Posts with Thumbnails